Yeah, I quit! I quit thinking negatively about myself. I quit giving excuses. I quit trying to count calories or points or carbs. I quit!
Let me explain… I have tried multiple diets trying to find the right one that will work for me. Sometime during the diet I fall off the wagon, and get back on, and fall off, and get back on, to later… fall off. I’m tired of dieting. I’m tired of counting. I’m tired of failing…
Let’s start by looking at some of my health goals:
- Lower my A1C to a healthy level. This is so important to my overall health. I have heart disease on both sides of the family and am a Type 2 Diabetic. I was diagnosed in September of 2010 and SERIOUSLY need to get this under control.
- Get out more and be active. I sit at my job. I sit when I game. I sit when I crochet or sew or paint or whatever other art/crafty thing I do. I spend MOST of my day sitting. This is not good. I need to make a conscious effort to get up and get out.
- Feel more confident in my skin and embrace who I am. I am very self aware of my personal pros and cons and I can also be really tough on myself. I need to forgive myself for getting to this weight (and incurring debt) and love myself and move on.
- Embrace a higher quality of life. I want to be able to run faster and tie my shoes without holding my breath. I want to have energy and not be a lump on a log. I want to not have to worry if I need the seat belt extender on a plane or not. I don’t want to worry if I’ll fit in the roller coaster seats. I want to live a full life. Short and simple. And losing weight will help me achieve this (as well as getting out of debt 😉 )
With that said, I took a look at my goals and realized yo-yo dieting isn’t going to get me there. It’s not. I fail so often at counting and trying to figure out what fits and what doesn’t. I know what I need to do in general – I just need to do them! Here’s a list of 5 things I’ve decided to try and I will be easing into them, not jumping in feet first and drowning in anxiety because I get overwhelmed.
- Eat when I’m hungry. I often eat because of emotions or because it just tastes good. This means not skipping meals and not just eating because it’s there.
- Drink more water. Being diabetic, I can easily get dehydrated. I probably am dehydrated 99% of the time. This needs to change. And I wonder how many times do I mistake hunger for just thirsty?
- Portion Control. I do not need a foot long sandwich. I also don’t need 5 slices of pizza. I need to get control of my portions (which goes back to #1).
- Fruits and Veggies! I want to crave veggies and fruit, not sugar and junk! I like veggies, I just don’t often choose them because I like junk more. I’m also a sugar addict. I’m hoping to switch to fresh fruits to abstain from a lot of sugar intake (like oreos and peanut m&ms). This should help with my diabetes.
- 80/20 rule. I’m going to be good 80% of the time and allow myself to indulge 20% of the time. I’m hoping this will help with my attitude to eating (all or nothing when it comes to healthy choices). Repeat after me… Progress. Not Perfection.
So here’s to trying something new and just making better choices overall!